PortMedia is the 501(c)3 non-profit Public, Education, and Government (PEG) local cable television access center serving Newburyport, Massachusetts. PortMedia “cablecasts” local, regional, and national programming on Newburyport’s cable Channel 8 (Public programming) and Channel 9 (Government and Education programming). Channels 8 & 9 reach almost 7,000 households, as well as all of the nursing homes, schools, Anna Jaques Hospital, and numerous businesses in Newburyport. Much of our programming is not available from any other media outlet.
If you live, work, or go to school in Newburyport, you may join PortMedia. As a member you can:
- take our free training classes and learn how to use our cameras, professional editing suites (Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.0), studio and control room, and more.
- borrow equipment to produce programs that will air on PortMedia’s channels
- join a crew to help produce local, live high school sports programming, government meetings, public affairs programs, etc.
- develop and produce your own show, on nearly any topic of your choosing
- attend our monthly media workshops on a variety of topics free of charge
- and so much more!
Membership costs $45/year for adults and $25/year for students and seniors.
Unfortunately, PortMedia does not have a staff that would allow us to produce programs for you. We often receive calls from people who would like us to come shoot a particular event. Although most of these events would make great local programs, with our small staff, we just can’t accommodate these requests. But, if you are a member, you can produce the program yourself. It’s not as difficult as you may think!
You can learn more by going to our FAQ.
If you’d like to speak with anyone on our staff, you will find our contact info here.